It is Day 3 of Bout of Books 1o! I’ve been doing good with some of my goals and not so great with others, but at just about the halfway point there’s definitely time to come back from it. So… the day 3 stuffs.
Today’s challenge is being hosted over at My Overstuffed Shelves. This is the Book Pairings challenge and is all about matching books with movies, music, art whatever you can think of. Seeing as books and music are two of my favorite things, I’m going to try to come up with a few pairings for that.
1. Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma makes me think of “My Body” by Young the Giant. Forbidden is a tough (but AMAZING) book that deals with a very sensitive subject, incest. For me this song just goes perfectly with this book both because of the lyrics and how they’re delivered.
2. Anno Dracula by Kim Newman makes me think of “DLZ” by TV on the Radio. I don’t have a great explanation for this one, but for some reason the rhythm and beat of this song just totally makes sense with the book, in my opinion.
3. Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout makes me think of “Bust a Move” by Young MC. Okay, I’m sure you’re probably sitting there scratching your head and trying to figure out what I’m on. So here’s why. This song always makes me think of being front and center and doing what you want which, when you think about Daemon in this book – he’s all posturing over Blake who he thinks is infringing on his ‘territory’ so to speak. So, odd choice, yes. But that’s okay cause I’m crazy like that. =]
4. On My Knees by Meredith Wild makes me think of “Jetsetter: by Morningwood. The reason I matched these two together is because of Maya, one of the main characters in this book. She sort of takes this turn from kind of naive to being very pessimistic and jaded as she gets older which fits the feel of the song really well.
5. Making Faces by Amy Harmon makes me think of “Brown Eyed Girl” by Van Morrison. So the reason I chose this song is because of the kind of upbeat tone of the song and the way that in this book, Fern plays such a huge part in helping Ambrose overcome everything that life threw at him and just the development of their relationship in general. Perfect fit in my opinion. =]
So those are my book/song pairings for this challenge. I know they’re a bit oddball, but hey would life be as fun if they weren’t? I think not. What are some your pairs?
I had another day of reading much less than I’d have liked, but by the same token I had a bunch of errands to run and I needed to just not think and spend three hours on youtube after the few days of work beforehand. I’m still struggling with Reflected so I kept picking up random books and reading a page before closing them. I did finally settle on The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I read about 40 or 50 pages of that. It’s definitely got an interesting start but I don’t think I’ll read it exclusively during the read-a-thon because its a beast of a book.
My plan for now, push through Reflected by Rhiannon Held. Because I want to know whats going to happen even if I’m hating on Felicia right now. -_-
In other updates, I did do another challenge (above) so I’m well on my way to my goal of participating in half of the challenges. Also! I participated in tonight Twitter chat. It was awesome, if intense!
How your week in reading going? Please share!