It’s hard for me to believe that 2013 is gone and we’re already a week into 2014… the year just flew by it seems. In terms of reading, I think I had a pretty solid year. It was definitely the year of romance for me. I don’t think I’ve ever read as many romance novels as I did last year. Before I get into the whole of 2013, here’s what I read in December.
1. At Grave’s End (Night Huntress #3) by Jeaniene Frost
2. First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World #1) by Jeaniene Frost
3. Eternal Kiss of Darkness (Night Huntress World #2) by Jeaniene Frost
4. Brie Embraces the Heart of Submission: After Graduation (Brie #2) by Red Phoenix
5. Reaver (Lords of Deliverance #5) by Larissa Ione
6. Her Forbidden Hero (The Hero #1) by Laura Kaye
7. One Night with a Hero (The Hero #2) by Laura Kaye
8. Wallbanger (Cocktail #1) by Alice Clayton
9. At Any Price (Gaming the System #1) by Brenna Aubrey
10. Veiled Desire (Veiled #1) by Alisha Rai
11. Veiled Seduction (Veiled #2) by Alisha Rai
12. 72 Hours (Devlin Group #1) by Shannon Stacey
That’s a solid twelve books for last month, though the two books from the Veiled series were re-reads for me. As far as quality goes, I made out well. I didn’t have a single book below 3 stars for the month.
With these reads, my final total for the year of 2013 is 126 books, assuming I didn’t miss any, lol. Here’s a bit of a break down:
I only read one non-fiction this year, which is a little low for me, but oh well.
I read two young adult novels.
I read four fantasy/sci-fi novels.
That leaves a whopping 119 romance/erotica novels for the year, ten of which were re-reads.
A few of my favorite reads from 2013 are:
– Silver by Rhiannon Held. The first in a series, and the authors debut novel, I adored this book. It had a storyline that kept me engaged and some awesome characters, one being death which was so cool. Definitely a favorite, now I’ve just got to keep reading!
– Edge of Dawn by Lara Adrian. The eleventh book of the Midnight Breed series, I wasn’t sure how I would feel going into this story simply because it takes place twenty years later. I’m happy to say that I loved it though, and I loved how Adrian gave us an advance not only of the entire story and legacy, but of characters who we had only previously known as kids.
– Shades of Gray and Forged in Steele by Maya Banks. Books 6 and 7 of her amazing KGI series, it’s no surprise I’ve listed both of these books. At this point, she could write crap story lines and I would still love every one of these books because her characters from the series are just so amazing and I love them like my own family. Happily, the stories are quite good, but I have to say that these recent additions to the series actually stand apart because Banks seems to have taken a much darker approach to them, for lack of a better description. Fan-freaking-tastic!
– The Original Sinners series by Tiffany Reisz. When I read these, I was in shock. I was so NOT expecting what I got, but they were down right AMAZING. Edgy and steamy these books are not for the feint of heart to say the least.
– Reaver by Larissa Ione. I’ve been waiting for this story for a good long while. I had pre-ordered it months ago and when it got to my house on release day, you better believe I busted into that book so fast. While there were a few things that threw me for a loop, Reaver truly did end up being as epic as I’d hoped it would be.
Those are five of my favorite books/series from 2013. However I also had a couple of duds for the year. Those were:
– Honor Student and Suicide Note by Teresa Mummert. I had such high hopes for these books, but unfortunately they just fell so short of what I was looking for. It was quite the bummer.
– Beautiful Bastard by Christina Lauren. I had heard good thing after good thing about this book, so I was really disappointed when I read it and was not overly impressed. It’s very well written for fan-fiction, but unfortunately everything else about it is cliche and kind of over done.
So that’s it for my 2013 wrap-up. Overall I had a great reading year and I’m looking forward to another great year for 2014! How did 2013 go for you? Do tell and Happy Reading!